Thursday, March 1, 2012

They Don't Name 'Em Like That Anymore

My uncles and aunts were:
Harry & Dorothy (ran a rural tavern)
Eddie & Helen (he sold insurance)
John & Elsie (never figured out what he did)
Leon & Millie (farmers)
Emily & Frank (teacher & woodworker)
I had some elderly neighbors:
Fran & Ollie (No lie!! Honestly!) (grocery store checker & manager)
Eleanor & Clare (Clare was the man.) (fun-loving, flapper-era full-time drunks)
Gerald & Rose (retired)
George & Rose (he was a printer)
Bert & Betty (he worked in a foundry)
Howard & Peggy
Elmer & Marie
It was a whole other world. Did you know some similar pairs?

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Love those names! I know an Elmer too - my dear Father.

Here's my pairs:
Elmer & Marquita - parents
Ed & Nadine - aunt/uncle
Jack & Loralee - a/u
Vernon & Mary - a/u
Homer & Gerry - a/u
Thomas & Rosemary - a/u
Harley - uncle died as small child
Otto & Agnes - grandparents
Walter & Ida Mae - grandparents

Love all the fun names in my family too! And some of their careers are as colorful. Many farmers, a postman, a minister and a professor.

Victoria said...

I just noticed a couple of other similarities. My Uncle Thomas was a printer. In your pair, Elmer & Marie, my father, Elmer and my mother, Marquita - my mother's confirmation name is Marie. You have a Dorothy and that is my confirmation name.

gaye g.p said...

Wonderful names in my family include:
Uncle Sealand (& Aunt Helen),
Aunt Felge (& Uncle Murray "Butch").
My grandmother's name was Cora--I only know of one modern girl with that name, and she's not of our family.