Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lord of the Butterflies

The landlord forbade me to garden, allowing only the raising of vegetables in containers, because he wants the 100 acres to remain completely natural, and I understand that. So I planted native coneflowers nobody can ever object to, and every type of flying creature loves them, from the nectar-sucking Great Spangled Fritillary, lord of the butterflies, who came by today, to the seed-eating goldfinches who pick the sliver-like black seeds from the dry flower heads in autumn. I enjoy the challenge of taking a photo I've never taken before.

My camera is Nikon Coolpix 8400, a 2005-era hobby camera with great optics, excellent for closeup photos; this photo was taken on its "Portrait" setting. I used to have analog SLRs, with macro and telephoto lenses, etc., and I used to buy bulk film and "roll my own" cartridges in the dark, and develop my own photos, and specialize in architectural photography -- but carrying 12 pounds of camera around my neck isn't as appealing as it used to be. Like my friend here I prefer to travel light.

No comments: