Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ye Shall Know Them

I plant arugula, a peppery little salad green, always, because it's easy to grow -- like a weed, the more you ignore it the better -- and because it's expensive at the store. The seeds resemble poppy seeds. In March I poked a pencil tip into the cold ground, dropped a seed in the hole, and after 30 days, ruffly healthy plants. Clip the larger leaves to eat and the plant will generously make some more.

The most helpful quotation I know comes from gardening: "By their fruits ye shall know them." (Matthew 7:20). It reminds me that we are what we do, not what we say. You can gauge moral character by the results of people's actions, by the grace or disorder they leave in their wake. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I just discovered my love for arugula and now I can't eat a salad without it. I like seeing it in your garden. I'm going to add it to mine next year. This year's garden is going and pretty simple.

Divinebunbun said...

I get organic seed from the Cook's Garden catalog. Try seeding it now....it will be ready in 30 days.