Monday, October 17, 2011

A Homeless Quilt Comes Home

To raise funds, the county library was raffling off a delectable pink quilt, with hearts and flowers all over it. Smitten as I have never before been by a quilt, I bought 12 chances on it some time ago, waiting for the Saturday Oct. 15 drawing. I told my mom and she predicted I would win it.

On Oct. 14, though, I was admiring the annual quilt show at a city library when a friend asked me, "Do you like quilts?" I said yes. She said, "I have one in my car. I won it, but don't need it. I took it to my daughter who didn't want it, gave it right back to me. It's pink. Do you want it?"

"Oh yes," I said. And my friend dragged a plastic bag out of her backseat and handed it to me. I didn't look at it until I got home and laid it out on my bed. It was exactly the right size, beautiful, and my first quilt. It didn't matter that I didn't win the library's quilt the next day. Well, maybe it did a little, because I loved those pink hearts stitched into it. I understood then that old ladies like hearts on everything because they love life and the earth more than they ever did, love it with more concentration and passion, as their time here runs short.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I just love quilts too. Congrats to you on getting your first quilt. I got my first quilt just last year. If you want to see it, it's here: http://arkansasquiltregistry.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-your-arkansas-quilt-registry.html

Buford Nature said...

I have several of my grandmother's hand-made quilts, one of which I use as my bedspread. It was finished in April 1961 and is made of scraps of wool clothing. It is quite warm, and has outlasted all other blankets that I have owned in my life. We don't make things now like they used to!