Monday, May 3, 2010

Middle-Aged Pleasures

I'm friends with a vigorous city couple in their 60s who visit the Divine property to "wildflower." They bring their manuals, he brings his camera and tripod, and they find flowers all day, reading aloud from the descriptions as they go. Definitely a middle-aged pleasure. I go along, but I'm looking for fungi. I get excited when I see them, collect them in photos which I then take home to I.D. "Divine likes fungi," the wildflower people explained to another friend, in the tone one uses politely to indicate that the person being mentioned is ever so slightly warped. Once after a rain I found ELEVEN different types of fungi just in my LAWN. I was in heaven. This fresh lovely fungus, found on a log, was so beautiful, but even after shredding two handbooks I can't get a sure I.D. on it: best I can do is Laetiporus sulphureus, "chicken of the woods."

No comments: