Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Doc Sargent, Who Were You?

Doc Sargent Road is one of my all-time-favorite walking roads, a two-lane asphalt, about a mile and a half, that in summer is closely grown up with trees and grass and honeysuckle, and at certain points hemmed in by rock faces. Beautiful horse farm along it; also a private drive leading into a private housing development that I've never been into, because there's a sign says "Keep Out." (I've got one too, and I'm glad when people mind it.) Along the left side of Doc Sargent Road, the mighty LaBarque Creek or dribbling tributaries carrying the most pristine water in these parts; we want to keep it that way. Have inquired, but nobody can tell me who Doc Sargent was. Nonetheless it's clear that whatever he did, someone appreciated it.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I stumbled onto this post doing some research on my grandmother. She was raised on a farm near this area, Doc Sargent rd. She attended the La Barque one room school house, which is supposedly still standing near there. Is it?
I have a photo of her standing in front of the school with the class, holding a small board which
says, La Barque school, Oct, 1905...

Jeff said...

I found this post doing research on my grandmother who grew up on a farm near here, early 1900.
She attended the La Barque one room school house, which was supposedly near Doc Sargent Rd. I understand it might still be standing. I have a photo of her with her class, in front of the school, holding a board saying, La Barque school, Oct. 1905
Do you know of this school?

Divinebunbun said...

I am locating the schoolhouse by asking people around here and will get its photo and post information when I receive it.In the meantime I would love to see a scan of your historic picture.

Divine