Friday, October 2, 2009

Floodplain in Autumn

This floodplain is in Allenton, Mo., a tiny ghost town between Pacific and Eureka. When I moved here eight years ago Allenton was still a town, but it's across the freeway from Six Flags, and development -- the enchanting idea of a retail paradise -- has threatened to flatten it ever since. The post office closed about three years ago. But people still live and farm down the back roads and on the Meramec River floodplain where nobody can develop. Oct. 1 was my eighth anniversary on the Divine property and I thank God. Of all the things I have ever done, I love living here the most. I love this land, hills and floodplain and whatnot. They will remove me from this property feet first, if at all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And if you turn and look north you will see the sunlight glistening off the razor wire of beautiful Missouri Eastern Correctional Center. (I work there.) Please feel free to delete this slightly snarky comment.

P.S. Took my grand daughter to LaBarque Creek Sunday. She's fallen in love with the woods there. Many years from now the pictures and memories will keep me happy. I just wish I could have done LaBarque with my daughter.
Next week it is the wolf thing at the wolf sanctuary by Antire.

Let's Paint Nature said...

Your part of town sounds splendid. Beautiful indeed.
Chris