Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Stained-Glass Chapel of Autumn


I dread autumn -- before it gets here. Then, when it comes -- its blue sky, translucent vivid reds and yellows, warm browns, black branches -- I step outside and it's just like a chapel; practically drives me to my knees. Here's one view. I could choose any of a hundred, a million views, all of it rustling, the light shifting, furry and feathery creatures weaving through them like spirits.

The natural Ozark foothills forest is oak and hickory. Non-native, invasive cedars (tall evergreens, conical like Christmas trees) came west with the pioneers; we know that because the oldest cedars are 150 years old. (But who can hate a tree?) What a birthday: 150! If only I may live 100 more years and see 100 more autumns!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow! You're American and you said "Autumn" - what happened to "Fall"? Oh! I love Autumn - desperately! I know just how you feel! I love the cathedral of trees and sky. But then, hey! I'm a ex-Catholic Pagan! Paula