Saturday, July 14, 2007

Watch Where You Step at Night!

I went out in the dark to look at stars and planets. They were
wonderful; they
were wealth. Then, in the driveway,
something wet and coldish flapped over my
foot and ankle.
I thought it might be an oak branch that had fallen and somehow

got wet.

I moved away and turned my flashlight on it. It was a snake,
silvery, a foot long,
indignant and thrashing about. Probably
a young blacksnake; their young shine
like minnows. If it was
hurt it was not seriously, because after
it was done thrashing
it did the sidewinder thing across the asphalt and into

the tall grass. I cried, "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it!" and
hope it understood and forgave me.


It did not bite. I am truly very sorry. I didn't expect a snake
in middle of
driveway in the dark. But from now on, I will.
They say you learn something every day.
That's especially
true in the country.

No comments: