Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tails Used as Umbrellas

Squirrels. You either love them or hate them. I hate them because they eat suet and seed that I set out for my birds. But it's like Abraham Lincoln said: "I don't like that man. I must get to know him better." So I tried to see something good in sneaky, thieving, relentless, plant-ripping rodents that run in packs.

-Their fur looks very soft.

-They are smart in a self-protective way, and hard to shoot. They learn fast what a gun is.

-Someone tells me that their meat is tough but it tastes good.

-When it rains they put their tails up over their heads like umbrellas, which I think is a very creative use of a long furry tail.

-They can be interesting in a sort of genetic way. In upstate New York the squirrels are black. In northern Arkansas the squirrels are white or white mixed with gray. In Missouri the squirrels are, of course, gray. Sometimes with brown tipping.

Excuse me, but I have to go get my rifle now. I just like to look at it, you see.

No comments: