Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Things I No Longer Worry About

  • Did I leave the iron on?
  • Did I take the meat out of the freezer so it's thawed when I get home? (There's no dinner for the family if I forgot.)
  • Did I miss that important phone call?
  • Will the dimestore have my size of typewriter ribbon? Or must I go downtown on Saturday to the office supply store?
  • Did the bookstore already phone me saying they had my special-order book? (Why must all the books I want be "special-order"?)
  • Will my airplane ticket arrive in the mail in time for my trip?
  • Running up long-distance phone charges; so I'd call after 7:00 p.m.
  • Will I have enough cash at the checkout?
  • Did I shake every bit of sand out of the driver's side floor mat so my father won't know I went to the beach?
  • Am I wearing two different color nylon stockings?
  • Can I run to the grocery store in time for them to cash this check?
  • Is my slip or my bra strap showing?
  • Do I have a dime with me at all times in case I must make a phone call?
  • Oh no, I have no quarter for the collection plate! All I have is my last dollar bill!
I'll never forget the time I went on a movie date and for some reason my mother was convinced we had gone to see a terribly forbidden movie, The Happy Hooker. Planning to catch me there, she dragged my father that evening to that movie, the first they'd probably seen in a theater in 20 years, and probably the last in their lifetimes. The joke was on them. I think Ray and I saw that evening The Towering Inferno.

No comments: