Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day One

Yesterday played catch-up with all the mail and errands and bills after being away, and apologized to the birds miffed that I left them on their own without fresh seed and suet daily. They forgive easily; just give 'em free food. Today I prepared for my daily walk about noon. Not far from the door, beneath an oak, on a slope facing south, were the year's first crocuses abloom. This is always Day One of my personal year, the day with promise of a rich green future for us all here in rugged rural Missouri.

6 comments:

Pablo said...

I love the color

Victoria said...

OMIGOSH! That is one of the prettiest pictures I've ever seen. That is the most gorgeous shade of blue ever. Lucky you!

Victoria said...

Also, I just had to post it to one of my Tumblogs (http://random-must-haves.tumblr.com/post/42620481318) and it brings you right back here to your blog if you click the pic.

Buford Nature said...

And yesterday was the first day that Phlox were blooming on the roadsides in my hometown (they didn't used to bloom until May).

Victoria said...

You were retweeted (https://twitter.com/SweetOzarksGirl/status/300035118460960769) by an Ozarks poet who keeps a blog. She must've loved your photo as much as I did.

Julia Gordon-Bramer said...

"In a forest of frost, in a dawn of cornflowers!"

OK. Cornflower blue crocus. In any case I could only think of that Plath line. Love it.