Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Day We've Waited For

Sunday, February 20, was the most blessed day of the year, the one I hope and hope for, the day the first crocuses bloomed-- right in my yard beneath the hickory tree. Here they are! A freakishly warm day, about 70 degrees. Nobody complained! And even better, it was the first day of the calendar year that I heard spring peepers, the world's most wonderful sound. And even better, a pair of bluebirds were claiming the bluebird house in the meadow. That is wealth!

Somebody asked me what was the most beautiful sentence in the English language and I thought a while about the sentence that made me happiest, and then quoted them from a cookbook: "While the second batch is baking, frost the first batch."

Well, that's culture, and here's nature. God am I happy!

1 comment:

gaye g.p said...

Fifty miles (?) north of you, my crocus are mere green tips but I'm sure I spotted my fav harbinger,a red-winged blackbird, this past week. As for your "best sentence"--
a most wonderful sentence indeed. Replete with promise and reward!