Thursday, December 30, 2010

Winter Pleasures

Yes, when I was a kid, fifty years ago now, I got the classic orange in the toe of my Christmas stocking, and I hope you did too. I don't hang stockings anymore, and my Christmas trees are right outside, but I have never loved anything in quite the way I love fruits. All of em. Divine shapes, colors and scents. In winter, the citrus fruits, which are improbably abundant this time of year. When I drew in pastels that's all I drew, could spend all day just admiring an orange and its blue shadow. And not only this, when you open it (or rip the skin off) YOU are the first person ever to see the inside of it. And to top it all off, it's good to eat. Here's a bowl of winter sunshine in winter sunshine. Happy New Year.

1 comment:

gaye g.p said...

Thanks for sharing a simple pleasure, via your most excellent photo and your poetic words. I have two friends in hospitals today, dealing with serious medical situations. I needed the uplift so I can somehow pass it along to them in their hard days-to-come.
Happy New Year to you, friend.