Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Shrine and Brother Matthew

Down the road a piece on 100 acres is a Catholic shrine to Our Lady of Czestochowa, a place in Poland. The "chapel" part is just open-air with a tin roof over it, plus some pews and banks of eight-day candles, usually deserted except Sundays. I go there occasionally on Mondays. I listen there for messages from God. I figure He hangs out there, listening to prayers. I must say that in Missouri, messages from God seem rather more common than they did when I lived in Boston, Mass.

Not far away is a path to a healing spring. Along the path were strewn and nailed up all sorts of signs, plastic flowers, photos of Pope John Paul II, stations of the cross, warnings ("Silence"; "Straight is the Way and Narrow is the Gate," nailed above an actual narrow wooden gate; "No Dogs or Horses") and all sorts of spiritual sayings as in the photo.

The path to the spring was once well-kept by Brother Matthew, a hermit from the nearby Franciscan community; it was he who painted, decorated, pruned, rebuilt, restored. Around age 70 when we met, he invited me to his hermitage one day. Brother Matthew had been to art school sometime in the 1940s, and the hermitage was full to the ceiling with canvases. All sorts of subjects, not just religious. Used to see him around, in his brown robe, occasionally in town; he was a presence and a character. He is gone now about four or five years, and the path to the spring -- flooded, vandalized, broken-down with time -- is about ruined, with no one to keep it. Here's a photo of something of what's left. There's been ads in the local paper looking to collect Brother Matthew's paintings. I wonder where they are now.

2 comments:

Rural Rambler said...

Good Morning! I am thinking on this rain soaked Sunday morning it was time to let you know how much I enjoy coming here and reading your blog. I really do. I love to read writer's blogs. Makes me think and puts a smile in my heart. My husband and I used to live pretty close to your bit of country. We left St. Lou in 2001 and moved to the Lake permanently-what a zoo. So we moved to tiny ten acres South of Jefferson City before our sanity was totally lost.

This post on the Catholic shrine makes me smile and makes me want to go there. Maybe do that on a trip back in early summer.

Hope we all see some sun today in our rural Missouri.

Divinebunbun said...

Thank you, rural rambler!