Friday, December 4, 2009

Come & Get It, You Little B-------d

Today on this first truly cold day of the season (high 32 degrees) I was making my famous Christmas cookies and had just lit the stove when a little gray blob shot across my kitchen floor. I hate meeses to pieces. So I loaded up a mousetrap.

Over many years I have learned:

  1. Bait it with peanut butter.
  2. Just a scant trace of peanut butter. Even a little too much and they’ll eat it without triggering the trap, the little cowards. The photo shows the bait dolloped and OVERFILLED.
  3. Lay the trap in a tight spot so the mouse has to wend and elbow its way toward the trap and can’t weasel back out.
  4. Listen for the sweet “snap” and gloat when you hear it.
  5. Set the trap the night before you expect a guest or guests who is/are a real mensch and not too squeamish to take the icky trap with the broken-necked mouse outside and dump the body in the field.

2 comments:

Beau said...

I don't know if it's because of the weather, but we've had more mice this year than I can remember before. Got three cats, and still a bunch of mice in the garage and barn. I need to try peanut butter... and a dang buck ruined a couple of my small trees. Argh!

Diviinebunbun said...

Yours is the third report I have received of unusually populous mice this season; the other from the opposite side of the state on the Ozark Plateau.