Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cooking for Midwesterners

I’ve discussed Midwestern dating. Now I address Midwestern dining, specifically home cooking for company. I’m a cook so I know.

  • Fry it, they’ll like it.
  • Grilled Sea-Bass Tacos with Fresh Peach Salsa and no one will ever marry you.
  • Serve Four-Cheese Macaroni and 3 of your cheeses are wasted.
  • “Seafood steaks” is an oxymoron. I made tuna steaks & cream sauce for my mom and stepdad in 1994, and the only meal they hated more was my cousin’s new wife’s Duck L’Orange in 1971 -- and I still haven’t heard the end of it.
  • Midwestern adults aren’t afraid of squash.
  • These are the best people to invite to a potluck, but they call their own such parties “pot blessings.”
  • A Midwestern all-day picnic is the greatest experience life has to offer.
  • God gave you elbows so you can put them on the table and eat more.
  • I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter should be served in its tub so as to prove its authenticity.
  • Midwestern men are the best grillers in the world.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Spot-on! A deep understanding of Midwest cuisine. I still remember taking a huge batch of fresh shrimp home to my folks (trucked in from New Orleans) and they were, to say the least, hesitant to try it, even to view it. There are some things that just don't belong in your mouth....