Sunday, April 26, 2009

Old and Talented is In!

Old, talented women may be in. Wouldn't that be fine.

As an over-50 (appearing to be over 40, which is the same thing) I am experiencing younger people looking right through me. It isn't that I'm frumpy; I try to look good in public. It's my age. Being young they aren't real good at seeing beyond the surface. God made 'em that way. I was that way too. I recall living in the city in my 20s and seeing an old woman sizing me up. "She would give whatever she has to be young like me again," I thought. Well, maybe not.

That British lady Susan Boyle isn't a cutie pie, but she has talent and now she has fans. I hazard that we are seeing a cultural shift here. Probably the Obama administration and its different values has something to do with it. Young and pretty or handsome is nice, but if we believe someone HAS to be that, we are dismissing a lot of warmth and talent. I resolve make an effort to look squarely and fairly at people.

No comments: